References of Natural Resources, Biodiversity and Forestry
Integrated Nature Conservation and Sustainable Management of Natural Resources in the Hin Nam No National Park Region
Counterpart Organization: Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) / Department of Forestry (DoF)
Project Duration: 03/2011 - 10/2016
Value of Service: 3,034,824€
This project helps the communities living in the HNN region to conserve the biodiversity of the HNN NPA in a co-management approach together with the NPA Management Authority. The specific objective of the consultancy is to improve the economic and social living conditions of the poor rural population through sustainable management of natural resources.
The consultant contributes to (1) further development of integrated conservation and the development of a concept for the HNN NPA as well as harmonization of legal and institutional framework for park management, (2) strengthening of HNN NPA management, and (3) development of income opportunities for local communities living in the area adjacent to the NPA. The provincial and district NPA management authorities are supported in coordinating their management activities with all relevant stakeholders. The communities themselves will be promoted to gain income from diversified sources. This will have a positive impact on the livelihood of poor communities in the surrounding areas of the HNN NPA. On the national level, the lessons learned will have a positive impact on the management of other NPAs. On a higher, aggregated level, the project has a positive impact on poverty alleviation in the province and will reduce deforestation and forest degradation within the park, thereby contributing to biodiversity conservation of the northern Annamite eco-region and climate protection.
Main Services Provided:
Harmonization of legal and institutional framework:
- Contribution to harmonization of legal and institutional framework for integrated conservation and development concept.
- Promotion of a cooperation mechanism amongst line ministries and agencies.
- Identification of loopholes in existing laws and regulations which prevent effictive conservation of NPAs and proposition of legal amendments.
- Production of appropriate information material.
Strengthening of HNN NPA Management:
- Support establishment of infrastructure for HNN NPA management and improve capacity of NPA staff.
- Implementation of co-management plan and consideration of lessons learned in revision of plan.
- Development and testing of concepts concerning participatory planning mechanism, patrolling and law enforcement system, awareness raising, environmental education and sustainable financing mechanism.
Development of income opportunities for local communities:
- Value chain analysis and promotion of sustainable use and cultivation of Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFPs), selected cash crops and handicraft products which offer opportunities to reduce pressure on natural resources in the NPA.
- Development of a community-based eco-tourism concept and provision of support to create additional income opportunities.