References of Rural Development, Agriculture & Food
Myanmar Sustainable Aquaculture Programme (MYSAP) – Coastal Aquaculture
Project Duration: 11/2017 - 10/2020
Value of Service: 2,057,475 €
The Myanmar Sustainable Aquaculture Program (MYSAP) is implemented through a co-financing agreement between the EU and GIZ. The Department of Fisheries (DoF) of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation (MoALI) of the Government of the Union of Myanmar is the implementing national partner. The overall objective of MYSAP is to contribute to poverty reduction and improved food security and nutrition in selected areas of Myanmar.
The Firm of Consultants implements the Coastal Aquaculture Component of the Program, focusing on Rakhine and Ayeyarwady region. The specific objective is to strengthen selected coastal aquaculture value chains, taking into account the social and socio-economic conditions of the rural poor, and the current ecological situation. The Consultant develops concepts and implements field activities targeting smallholders and private sector operators (MSMEs) to engage in various forms of sustainable coastal aquaculture with the prospects of compliance with international quality and sustainability standards. Additionally, the rehabilitation and reforestation of mangroves in the coastal areas and the provision of alternative technologies for facilities and processes, such as local hatcheries, shall contribute to securing the livelihoods and nutrition of the local population.
- Strengthen the value chain of shrimp and mud crab production,
- Improve the quality of local aquaculture products,
- Enable access to government extension services, farming technologies and required high quality inputs, particularly for small-scale aquaculture farmers and SMEs,
- Establish and develop fair trade conditions for SMEs and enable their access to local, regional and international markets,
- Support training for Government and private sector actors,
- Support the establishment and functioning of a conducive and effective institutional framework for sustainable aquaculture development and to assist in the development of required policies and guidelines at national and local level.