References of Environmental Management, Policy and Finance
National Solid Waste Management Program
Client: German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ)
Counterpart Organization: Philippine Environmental Ministry – Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)
Project Duration: 04/2009 - 11/2009
The project targets improving solid waste management in the Philippines. The core problem is the environmental pollution stemming from uncontrolled disposal and burning of solid waste as well as the wasting of resources through continually growing volumes of solid waste. Hardly a single disposal site in the Philippines fulfills minimum standards for the protection of water, ground and air. The solid waste law passed in 2001 plans for the introduction of orderly, regulated disposal sites as well as increased recycling, but the application of this law to date is restricted and has had little impact.
The project supports the decentralization targeted by the partner government as well as the solid waste law which aims to improve environmental and resource protection. In this context, IP Consult was commissioned to elaborate a strategic national solid waste program together with the partner organization (the National Solid Waste Management Commission and Environmental Management Bureau) for the Philippines. The waste management program incorporates all relevant working fields in the process.
Main Services Provided:
- Identification and integration of key actors (public/private)
- Data acquisition, diagnosis and description of current situation
- Analysis and identification of priority areas
- Description of measures for improving solid waste management and it priorization
- Drawing up of a national solid waste management program
- Accompanying public relations / awareness-raising measures