References of Water
Provincial Towns Open Program (PTOP)
Client: KfW Development Bank
Counterpart Organization: Yemeni Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE)
Project Duration: 03/2009 - 03/2015
The Yemeni Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE) have - together with the German Financial Cooperation (FC) - started an initiative to improve the water supply and sanitary cond-tions in provincial towns in Yemen. This project (Provincial Towns Open Programme PTOP) is in the third phase of the programme and its target groups are the population of provincial towns with a minimum size of 10,000 inhabitants. The concept includes a range of projects the aim of which is to improve the living conditions of the Yemini population in cities and towns.
This is to be achieved by an improved resource management, the reduction of water losses in the supply grids, the reduction interruptions in supplies due to technical reasons, the improve-ment of the drinking water quality, extension of the existing supply grid and improvement of the supply services. With the help of an optimised waste water treatment, the number of coliform germs in the groundwater is supposed to be greatly reduced.
Main Services Provided:
- Management consulting in water supply and waste water companies
- Rehabilitation and optimisation of existing water supply systems
- Extension of existing water supply systems
- Monitoring of groundwater resources
- Optimization and extension of existing waste water systems (centralised and decentral-ised ones)
- Planning and construction of new waste water systems (sewerage and treatment)
- Accompanying measures for education and training (workshops, training on the job)
- Accompanying public relations / awareness-raising measures