References of Water
Rehabilitation of Economic, Physical and Social Infrastructure
Country: Sri Lanka
Client: German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ)
Counterpart Organization: Ministry of Emergency Assistance, Reconstruction and Reconciliation
Project Duration: 01/2006 - 12/2008
The destruction of the physical and social infrastructure by the Tsunami on Dec. 26 2004 has led to a state of emergency in many regions of Sri Lanka. The project’s objective consists of improving living conditions for the population affected by the tsunami in the southern districts of Matara and Hambantota. Using methodological and expert counselling as well as financial sup-port for reconstruction via local subsidies, the project contributes to the reconstruction of destroyed living space (including potable water supply and sanitary facilities), the rehabilitation and reconstruction of administrative buildings, kindergartens, schools, health stations and transport routes.
Main Services Provided:
- Administrative, methodological and expert counselling of partner organisations (capacity building);
- Reconstruction of living space and social infrastructure with improved technical standards;
- Rehabilitation of public infrastructure (e.g. schools, kindergartens, administrative buildings, market halls, roads, etc.;
- Reestablishment of basic supply systems and the service sector according to regional standards;
- Support of setting up trade & craft operations and fishing cooperatives for improvement of income of families affected by the tsunami;
- Promotion of production and trade to at least the pre-tsunami level through restoration of technical infrastructure and transport routes.